Bovikalc Dry is an oral mineral supplement given to dairy cows at drying off.
What does it do?
Bovikalc® Dry helps support the natural reduction in milk yield at drying off.
By helping to reduce udder engorgement and its associated health and welfare problems, Bovikalc® Dry helps to prepare the dairy cow for the next lactation
Helping to Support Drying off in Dairy Cows
Managing the health of dairy cows throughout the lactation cycle begins with drying off.
- Milk accumulating in the udder after cessation of milking results in udder engorgement2.
- Increased intramammary pressure may cause discomfort for the cow3.
- Udder engorgement predisposes dry cows to increased risk of intra-mammary infection4.
1. McArt and Oetzel (2015) J.Dairy Sci. 98:7408
2. Leitner et al. (2007) Livestock Science.; 110:292–297.
3. Silanikove et al. (2013) J. Dairy Sci. 96:6400–6411.
4. Rajala-Schultz et al. (2005) J. Dairy Sci.; 88:577-579.
5. Maynou et al (2018) Effects of oral administration of acidogenic boluses
at dry-off on performance and behavior of diary cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 101:1-12.